The name Catford is typically explained as having been taken from a ford across the River Ravensbourne often visited by wild cats. In 1745 there were a couple of homes at Catford Bridge, and also separate communities at Perry Hill and Rushey Environment-friendly. The open space called Rushey Environment-friendly, which was eastern of the modern-day road, was an old location of settlement, with moated houses on either side. The eco-friendly was enclosed in 1810, and also cottages were quickly developed over it.
A watermill for corn was established at Catford Bridge at the beginning of the 19th century to serve the regional farms. The areas in the location were a mix of pasture and also arable. The initial considerable organized housing development was the deluxe estate called Ravensbourne Park, which was begun in the 1820s.
In 1857 the Mid Kent railway line was constructed, with a station at Catford Bridge. This encouraged the building of residences for the middle classes, because it provided transport to the City of London.
Nonetheless, large-scale advancement did not take place till completion of the century, when cable cars gave a less costly means of transportation as well as Catford Terminal provided a straight relate to the West End.
Much real estate for the working and also lower middle classes quickly resulted. The biggest of the new building jobs was the Corbett Estate, which stretched right into Hither Environment-friendly. The Forster family, Lewisham's biggest landowners, began to establish their farmland in the south of Catford from the 1890s. Some light sector was developed in southerly Catford.
Lewisham's city government has had its headquarters in Catford considering that 1875. The old Board of Works offices were bigger as the Town Hall in 1900, and also various other courts have actually been added.
Possibly remarkably, the district's name is not some arcane corruption, however most likely does indicate that wild cats used to frequent the ford that is currently the site of Catford Bridge, although an alternative explanation is that 'the pet cat' was a neighborhood landowner's label. The name was first taped in 1254, around the moment that the Abbey of Ghent, which had possessed the land hereabouts because at least the early tenth century, sold it off as a sub-manor. Two moated houses are taped as having been built after that, one near Catford Bridge as well as the various other at Rushey Green. Each of these residences had actually come to be the center of a little district by the mid-18th century.
The environment-friendly was enclosed in 1810, and soon built upon. The opening of Catford Bridge terminal on the Mid Kent Train in 1857 urged the building of homes for the extra upscale middle classes. In 1875 the Lewisham board of works-built workplaces here, which later on became the city center, and in the 1880s ceremonies of stores lined Catford Broadway and the parish church of St Laurence was consecrated.
With the opening of Catford station in 1892 and the arrival of tram services, suburban growth began in earnest. Landowners offered their farms and major designers built comprehensive estates for clerical commuters, with some light industry to the south. Between the battles, countless places of amusement were developed, including a theatre, concert hall and greyhound arena, together with brand-new stores on the Broadway.
Lewisham city center was knocked down and also rebuilt in 1958 and also the council drastically redeveloped the community centre from the very early 1960s, with blocks of apartments as well as a shopping centre. The brutalist workplace tower Eros Residence changed the Lewisham Hippodrome as well as the Gaumont movie theater. St Laurence's church was destroyed and also changed by the council's Laurence House, and also a brand-new church was improved Bromley Roadway. The council's location activity plan has actually sought to boost the town centre and also construct its role as an "eye-catching, safe and also animated" shopping, social as well as recreation location-- though some locals believe that the idea of Catford ever before restoring its standing as a 'location' is an over-ambitious declaration of intent.
Catford greyhound arena closed without warning in 2003 and also the 12-acre website remained abandoned up until 2012, when it was transferred to the Greater London Authority under the Localism Act. Chosen as the favored prospective buyer, Barratt Homes is now constructing 589 residential properties right here, of which 113 will certainly be for 'affordable lease' as well as 60 will certainly be earmarked for common possession. The ₤ 117m project schedules for conclusion in 2017.
Mayor of London Boris Johnson was priced quote as claiming: "The change of Catford Dogs, which for the last decade has actually been left empty as well as unused, will not only bring hundreds of brand-new houses to the heart of London, however will certainly feed right into the bigger regeneration of Catford town centre." Certax Accountants London are based in 310 Verdant Lane Catford SE6